Through the student exchange program, the students of NLSIU have an opportunity to study law and live in a foreign country while receiving credits towards their degree. Studying abroad for a trimester (or semester, as the case may be) helps our students gain first hand experience of another legal system, culture, foreign language and also helps them build an extensive network of contacts around the world. In addition to this, exchange program gives our students an opportunity to broaden their knowledge base, gain new perspectives, sharpen their skills, and build the networks of relationships needed to meet the demands of issues on the local, national, and global scales.
Incoming student also bring along with them a diverse understanding of law particular to their home countries, and a perspectives shaped by their society and culture. Interacting with foreign students helps our students build knowledge of various legal systems, gain a perspective with respect to diverse cultures and form contacts.
For incoming students, the exchange program presents an opportunity to build an understanding of Indian legal system, develop perspective of policy making in the Indian context, examine impact of international policies and developments from a developing country’s perspective, and comprehend Indian culture better. Subjected to other requirement, foreign students can choose from as diverse as sixty courses taught at NLSIU. Additionally, there are a number of seminar courses and elective courses available to them.
Being a residential university also carries its own perks. Foreign students get a chance to get along with our students, participate in various student organised activates, and perhaps build friendships lasting for life. They get a chance to mingle with the culture here and develop alongside some of the brightest students in the world.
Our exchange program we have signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with our partner universities. Currently we have MoUs with many institutions for exchange of students, faculties and ideas. A list of our partner institutions is as follows:
- Bucerius Law School, Hamberg, Germany
- Dulhousie university, Canada
- EBS Law School, Germany
- Ecole De Formation Des Barreaux, France
- Eritrea School of Law
- Georgetown University, Washington D.C.
- Ghent University, Belgium
- Hof University, Germany
- Korean National Police Academy, South Korea
- Legal Research Institute, New Mexico, Mexico
- Maastricht University, Netherlands
- Macquarie University, Australia
- University Paris-Dauphine
- College of Law, National Taiwan University, Taiwan
- National University of Singapore, Singapore
- University of Bern, Switzerland
- University of Cologne, Germany
- University of Exeter, United Kingdom
- University of Gothenberg, Sweden
- University of Groningen, Netherlands
- University of Queensland, Australia
- University of Houston, Texas
- University of Kwazulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa
- University of Luxembourg
- University of Cape Town, South Africa
- University Pontificia Comillas, Madrid, Spain
- Dickinson Pool School of Law, King’s College, London, UK
- Tel Aviv University, Buchmann Faculty of Law, Israel
- Sciences Po, Paris, France
- University of New Hampshire, School of law, Franklin Pierce Centre for Intellectual Property, USA
- Yaroslav Mudryi National Law University, Kharkiv, Ukraine
- Queen Mary University of London, School of Law, United Kingdom
- Saratov State Academy of Law, Satatov, Russian Federation
- School of Law, Korea University, Republic of Korea
- University of South Australia, Adelaide
- University of Wisconsin Law School, USA
- University of Zürich, Switzerland
- Pantheon-Sorbonne, University of Paris, France
At exchange cell we continuously strive to enhance exchange experience. For the same we have developed a dedicated exchange office for the outgoing students. The exchange office assists our students in applying for the foreign universities. Further, for the incoming students we have developed a comprehensive information system and a dedicated communication system. We have also developed a buddy system wherein all the foreign students are allocated buddies who introduce them to the NLSIU community and culture.
We are also in the process of expanding our footprint in the international community. We constantly endeavour to increase the number of our partner institutions in order to give wide exposure to our students.
In case you are a foreign university seeking to partner with us, please click here.
How to apply—Outgoing students
How to apply—Incoming students
Incoming exchange student form– Incoming student is required to download the form and mail the filled up form along with other required attachments. The required attachments have been mentioned in the instructions within the form.